November 20, 2016

Trees and Trumps - 10 min rant

10 min personal challenge. How much can I write in 10 minutes? I have fallen off the writing wagon for a few months now, and now that my shoulder is slowly improving, I feel the need to get back on, to start being creative again.

It's a windy day outside. Not windy, that word doesn't describe the howling that I can hear via the air vent in the bathroom, the leaves and branching swooshing with each strong gust, the beech tree in the neighbor's backyard, that reaches high above our houses, with its few yellow leaves still clinging on, rocking back and forth. As I drove my daughter to work earlier, we saw a tree that had fallen, luckily not into the road, and luckily not into the building it was next to. Still, the cracked stump of the tree, like a wounded animal with a broken leg was a sad sight.

The Dutch are not immune to awe nature.

As I came back a few minutes later, a man on his bicycle was taking a picture of the broken tree. I slowed down to let him take his shot. He waved at me in appreciation.

It's now almost a week after the terrible shock - sorry, it's already 2 weeks almost - after the Trump news. I've been in a state of denial, shock, anger, depression, (so much so that I can't even keep track of how long it's been), like many of my friends here in the Netherlands and in the USA. Almost no one I know is pleased with the news. I have almost completely stopped watching the news. As if burying my head in the sand will decrease the intensity of disbelief I am experiencing. If I don't see news about the T-guy, then maybe it hasn't really happened. I know, I know. It has.

As an American, I hang my head in shame, and hope that all that bull he said before the elections was just to get elected, the pre-sale, so to speak, while now, once he's in office, he'll have to calm down, think before acting, and be a real diplomat/politician. Unless he's going to make a new reality TV show - something between Jerry Springer and Designated Survivor. Who knows what this man has in store for us? It's fascinating, but just like watching a tornado rip though a town - as long as it's not your town, it's quite something to behold.

I sigh. I'm working on rest and relaxation these weeks. It's much better for my shoulder to be stress free. So, gotta do or think of something else to take my mind off the T-man. Gran Hotel on Netflix has been great for that these past weeks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment